Shredded chicken and lemongrass broth (Download as a PDF shredded-chicken-and-lemongrass-broth)
1 chicken breast on the bone
1 stick of soba noodles
1 red onion, finely sliced
A thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
1 garlic clove, finely diced
1 stick of lemongrass, bashed
1 tsp light olive oil
600ml chicken or vegetable stock
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp tamari sauce
1 head of pak choi, sliced lengthways
2 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
A handful of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the chicken breast on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Cook noodles until tender then drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and leave to cool slightly before shredding off the bone (you can also use leftover chicken as a quicker option).
- Combine the onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, olive oil and a large splash of stock in a large pan and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining stock and bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to low and add the chicken, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the noodles along with the lime juice, tamari and pak choi cooking for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat, take out the lemongrass and add spring onions and coriander.
You can try serving with cooked prawns instead of chicken breast
Download as a PDF (shredded-chicken-and-lemongrass-broth)