Spanish style white bean and prawn stew
Serves 2 (generously)
This stew offers a low calorie lunch option. Foods with a high water content such as soup have been shown to help with weight loss as they promote fullness. Maintaining a healthy weight is a good way to reduce your risk of heart disease.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
100g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
2 tsp smoked paprika
Small pinch of saffron, soaked in a little hot water
400g carton of chopped tomatoes
150g white beans (Spanish jarred variety work best but you can use 1/2 400g carton of cannellini beans)
1 small courgette, chopped into small chunks
10 frozen king prawns, defrosted under running cold water for 5 minutes
- Heat the oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and red pepper then cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika, cumin and saffron then cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the chopped tomatoes then fill the carton with water and add to the stew. Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 25 minutes adding the beans after 15 minutes. Add more water if the stew begins to dry out.
- After 25 minutes is up, dd the prawns and courgette then cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Take the stew off the heat and season with salt and pepper. Let the stew sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve the stew in two bowl with bread (optional).