Chicken stir-fry with courgette noodles
356 calories, 13.4g fat, 6g sat fat, 19.7g carb, 14.7g sugar, 33.5g protein, 11.5g fibre, 2g salt
Rich in: potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, vitamins A, C and B complex
Veg-swaps are a health trend that is here to stay and offer a great way to replace carbohydrates in your recipes, which is useful if you’re trying to lose weight. The bright colours in this dish mean you’re getting a great supply of valuable phytonutrients, which are pigments in plants that may help to protect the body from diseases such as those of the heart. Shiitake mushrooms contain beta-glucan polysaccharides that have been shown to help enhance the immune system as well as vitamin D, which is lacking in many peoples diets, especially during the winter months.
Tamari is a gluten-free alternative to soy sauce and has a lovely rich flavour adding depth to the dish. If you don’t eat meat then try adding a legume or pulse such as chickpeas or soya beans, which will add protein to the dish. You could also throw in a handful of nuts such as cashews, pumpkin seeds or lentil sprouts for a little crunch. Furikake is a Japanese blend of sesame seeds and seaweed, which add an umami flavour to the dish as well as a source of iodine.
1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 large chicken breast, thinly sliced
1 lime, juiced
200g tenderstem broccoli, trimmed
1 red chilli, sliced thinly
1 inch piece of ginger, sliced into matchsticks
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
1 long red pepper, sliced into thin strips
2 garlic cloves, crushed
125g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
3 courgettes, julienned
1 tbsp coriander, chopped
2 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp ferukake
- Heat the oil in a wok. Once hot add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the wok and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli, chilli, ginger, onion, red pepper, garlic and mushrooms then fry for 3 minutes until tender. Add a splash of water during cooking to steam the vegetables and help them to cook.
- Take the wok off the heat and stir in the courgette, coriander, tamari and ferukake.
- Divide between two plates and serve.
Download recipe as a PDF (chicken-stir-fry-with-courgette-noodles)